Monday, July 4, 2011

Not so different

Today, I was reminded today of a conversation I had once while living in Germany. It was early 2007 and I was at the Army's non-commissioned officer academy where we had several international soldiers attending as well. One night, while sitting around, I struck up a conversation with one of the international troops; I think he was from Romania or one of the countries where Yugoslavia used to be. In his best English, we discussed cars, sports and other things that guys talk about. About 25 minutes into it I stopped and said, "You know that 50 years ago, guys like you and me were shooting each other around these parts?!" He nodded and replied: "yeah, pretty fucked up".
I suppose this was one of my first, yet most poignant lessons that regardless of where we are from, we are more similar than different.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how shit like that happens. We are all pretty much the same, minus the small cultural differences. Good post, it made me think.

    ReplyDelete